Integrative Pathobiology Research Symposium
Wednesday, February 24, 2021
1:00 - 3:30 pm
Virtual Event - Contact Erin Kent for Zoom Link
Keynote speaker is Professor Hilary Brodie M.D., Ph.D. in the Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at the University of California Davis Medical Center
Presentation Title: " Sliding Doors Along My Journey"
Dr. Brodie has a sub-specialty practice in Otology and Neurotology. His clinical focus is in hearing loss and various diseases affecting the middle and inner ears. He works with a comprehensive team of Ear Surgeons, Audiologists, and Speech Pathologists, to provide a comprehensive program on cochlear implantation. Dr. Brodie also focuses his practice on various tumors in and adjacent to the ear including vestibular schuannomas glomus jugulare tumors, and cholesteatoma.
Dr. Brodie has engaged in many years of studies on the underlying mechanisms of a disease called labryrinthitis ossificans, in which new bone forms in the inner ear following diseases such as meningitis, skull fractures, and various inflammatory diseases. The significance of this research involves future cochlear implantation. If a child is deafened by meningitis and the cochlea fills with new bone deposition will hopefully allow for inhibition of the process and thereby maintain a patent cochlea. His current research is focused on understanding the microbiome of the middle ear. He is also continuing his clinical studies involving temporal bone fractures.
1:00 - 1:45 pm: Student Research Presentations
- Annica Stull-Lane (PI: Renée M. Tsolis): "Vitamin A supplementation boosts control of antibiotic-resistant Salmonella infection in malnourished mice"
- DJ Darwin Bandoy (PI: Bart Weimer): "Deconvolution of clonal interference by D614G mutation in Sars-CoV-2 using Monte Carlo and Epidemic Modelling"
- Veneese Brown (PI: Laura Van Winkle): "Impact of Ergothioneine Pretreatment on Naphthalene Toxicity in the Mouse Lung"
1:45 - 2:00 pm: Break
2:00 - 3:00 pm: Professor Hil Brodie M.D., Ph.D. " TBD "
3:00 - 3:05 pm: Closing remarks from GGIP Co-Chair, Dr. Paramita Ghosh
3:05 - 3:30 pm: Prospective students meet one-on-one with current students
Virtual Student Posters - Available on demand (February 24th - March 3)
- Alejandro Triana-Garcia (PI: Swee Teh)
- Arturo Oliver (PI: Kevin Keel)
- Ash Jay (PI: Wolf-Dietrich Heyer)
- Azarene Foutouhi (PI: Stuart Meyers)
- Cal Bonnelly (PI: Carrie Finno)
- Charlie Alex (PI: Patricia Pesavento)
- Daniel Kong (PI: Xinbin Chen)
- David Yang (PIs: Reen Wu and Ching-Hsien Chen)
- Dustin Leale (PI: Dominik Haudenschild)
- Erin Ball (PI: Lark Coffey)
- Fauna Smith (PI: Nicole Baumgarth)
- Isabel Casanova (PI: Sara Thomasy)
- Nopmanee Taechangam (PI: Dori Borjesson)
- Pablo Juarez (PI: Verónica Martinez-Cerdeño)
- Priya Upadhyay (PI: Kent Pinkerton)
- Samah Abdelrazek (PI: Richard Connon)
- Sarah Cook (PI: Brian Murphy)
- Veronica Lopez-Cervantes (PI: Amir Kol)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in registering for the virtual event.