GGIP Student Handbook

UC Davis Office of Graduate Studies

The Office of Graduate Studies, commonly referred to as simply “Grad Studies,” is located at 250 Mrak Hall.  Since you’ve already been accepted to UC Davis, you’ve no doubt already visited its website.  Grad Studies has a wealth of information on its website.  If you have a question about anything and can’t find someone to ask, check out the website.  It contains information on fees, funding, living in Davis, deadlines, degree requirements, forms, graduate student academic employment (GSR, TA, AI), residency status, etc.  

The GGIP contact in Graduate Studies is Sarah Hamid ( 

Learn more

Graduate Student Association (GSA)

The UC Davis Graduate Student Association (GSA) is a student-driven representative organization linking students of the diverse graduate programs across the campus.  Funded by graduate student fees, GSA provides services to graduate students and protects and promotes their interests at all levels of University administration.  Regularly enrolled graduate students, professional students in the Graduate School of Management, and professional students in the teaching credential program are automatically GSA members.  The GSA offers coffee and donuts every Friday from 8:30-10:30am, holds social events throughout the school year, and offers travel awards to graduate students.  The GSA office/lounge is located at 253 South Silo. 

Learn more

Associate of Graduate Student Employees

Student Health & Wellness

Medical Services at the Student Health and Wellness Center 

SHCS Medical Services, including Insurance Services, is conveniently located on the West side of campus at the Student Health & Wellness Center (SHWC). The center is located on La Rue Road between Hutchison Drive and Orchard Road, across the street from the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) and next to the Colleges at La Rue. Access to the closest parking (lot 35) is on Orchard Road. SHCS is AVAILABLE TO ALL registered students regardless of insurance coverage. To make an appointment 

call (530)752-2349 or use the website. To speak with an advice nurse, call – (530) 752-2349 during regular business hours or (530) 752-2300 when the SCHC is closed.

SHCS Counseling Services at North Hall

SHCS Counseling Services is located in the center of the core campus at North Hall. North Hall faces the east side of the quad and is next to Dutton Hall and South Hall. This part of campus is not accessible by car; however, there is plenty of bicycle parking in front and North Hall is close to the Memorial Union bus stop. The nearest metered and paid/permit parking lots are the North Entry Parking Structure and the VP 5 parking lot. To speak with someone in counseling services call (530) 752-2349. Appointments can be made online.

For students with families (spouses and children), restrictions exist for family members to be included in the graduate student’s health care policy.  These restrictions differ for domestic and international students.  If you require health care for your family, be sure to get information from SHCS directly regarding this issue.  

Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

Health insurance is mandatory. You may enroll in SHIP or submit a waiver showing proof of outside insurance. SHIP provides medical, dental, and vision coverage. Spouses and/or children can be added to SHIP coverage at the student’s expense. Please let the GGIP Coordinator know if you plan to waive SHIP. This will prevent possible overpayments. Also, please pay close attention to the waiver application deadlines.

Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS)

If you plan to drive your car to campus, you’ll need to secure your parking permit daily or TAPS will give you your first UC Davis ticket. Campus recently switched to mobile, daily, parking passes for students through AMP Parking. You’ll want to download the app and sign up using your UC Davis email address for the discounted rate. Unfortunately, there is no longer an option to buy a monthly permit, it is daily only.

The other main function of TAPS is to issue bicycle licenses.  All bicycles on the UC Davis campus must have a university-issued bicycle license, aka a UC Davis-issued bicycle registration sticker. Registrations are valid in perpetuity, but should be updated regularly to track ownership changes and/or it's status in the event of theft. Your bicycle must be present when we issue you your bicycle registrations. Registrations are assigned to an individual bike, and cannot be transferred to another bike, but can be transferred to a new owner.

Learn more

The Pantry

The Pantry is housed at the UC Davis Memorial Union #154 (first floor). Students must only present a valid UC Davis ID Card to receive three nutritional meals, food items, or toiletries per day. The staff at The Pantry will never record any personal information about the students and will strive to ensure that every student visiting the Pantry or utilizing its services will retain a high level of anonymity.

Learn more