Skip to main content
- GPA of 3.0 or greater (on a 4.0 scale) for undergraduate courses. Applicants with a professional degree should also have a GPA of 3.0 or greater for courses taken during the first two years of the professional curriculum.
- Applicants must submit official TOEFL or IELTS examination scores unless they have earned or will be earning a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from either:
- A regionally accredited U.S. college or university where English is the sole language of instruction, OR
- A foreign college or university which provides instruction solely in English. UC Davis Graduate Studies will only approve waivers for foreign colleges and universities which list English as the sole language of instruction in the IAU World Higher Education Database. No other documentation will be reviewed or accepted
- International students who have not studied at an institution where English was the language of instruction must obtain a score of 80 (iBT, internet-based) or more on the TOEFL before applying for admission. As an alternative to the TOEFL, students may submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). For IELTS, the minimum overall band score required for admission to graduate study at UC Davis is 7.0 on a 9-point scale. Please note these scores are the minimum necessary for submitting an application; admitted students often have a higher score. For information on being admitted as a graduate student, see Graduate Admission Information for International Students.